In the world of business storytelling, finding innovative ways to captivate your audience and make your message stick is crucial. One powerful technique that can elevate your storytelling to new heights is the use of a framing device.
A framing device acts as a narrative structure that wraps around your story, providing a unique perspective and enhancing the overall impact.
In today’s post, we’ll explore the art of using framing devices in business storytelling, discovering how they can create intrigue, build connections, and leave a lasting impression.
Are you ready?
Setting the Stage: Understanding Framing Devices
A framing device is like a window through which your story is viewed. It introduces a secondary narrative layer that adds depth and context to the main story. It can take various forms, such as a character’s recollection, a letter, a diary entry, or even a flashback.
Framing the story provides a unique perspective, increasing engagement and forming a lasting narrative.
But how can this help your content?
The Power of Framing Devices in Business Storytelling
Framing devices offer several benefits when it comes to business storytelling. Here’s why they matter:
- Creating Intrigue: A framing device introduces a layer of mystery and curiosity, immediately capturing your audience’s attention. By presenting the story within a unique context, you pique their interest and make them eager to uncover the significance of the framing device.
- Building Connections: A well-executed framing device can foster a deeper connection between your audience and the story. It provides a relatable entry point or perspective, making it easier for them to empathize with the characters or concepts you’re presenting.
- Enhancing Engagement: Framing devices create a sense of anticipation and curiosity, keeping your audience engaged throughout the storytelling process. They want to understand how the framing device connects to the main story and what insights or revelations it may hold.
So now that you understand why they are important, let’s take a look at how you can use them:
Crafting Your Framing Device: Tips and Techniques
Here are 5 tips to help you master the use of framing devices in your business storytelling:
- Align with Your Message: Choose a framing device that aligns with the core message or theme of your story. It should complement and enhance the narrative, rather than being a mere gimmick.
- Establish Clear Connections: Ensure that the framing device has a clear connection to the main story. It should provide insights, context, or a unique perspective that enhances the audience’s understanding and emotional connection.
- Create Narrative Tension: Use the framing device to create narrative tension or anticipation. Pose questions, tease revelations, or hint at the significance of the framing device, keeping your audience engaged and eager for more.
- Seamless Integration: Seamlessly integrate the framing device with the main story. Transition smoothly between the framing device and the primary narrative, maintaining a cohesive flow and rhythm.
- Choose the Right Timing: Consider the timing of when you introduce the framing device. It should come at a point that sparks curiosity and enhances the overall storytelling experience.
Real-Life Examples: Unleashing the Power of Framing Devices
Let’s explore how businesses have effectively used framing devices in their storytelling:
- The IKEA Catalogue: The IKEA catalogue acts as a framing device, showcasing various furniture and home decor items within the context of relatable home settings. This framing device allows customers to envision how the products fit into their own lives, creating a more immersive and engaging shopping experience.
- The “This Girl Can” Campaign: The “This Girl Can” campaign uses the framing device of real women’s stories and personal accounts of overcoming challenges in sports and physical activities. This framing device humanizes the campaign, inspiring and empowering women of all backgrounds to participate in sports and embrace an active lifestyle.
- The Dollar Shave Club: The Dollar Shave Club’s marketing videos often feature a humorous and engaging framing device that highlights the frustrations of traditional shaving experiences. By using relatable scenarios and witty dialogue, the framing device creates a connection with the audience, effectively promoting the brand’s unique offering.
Twitter ideas for this type of storytelling:
- Example 1 – Tech Startup:
Tweet: “Step into our founder’s shoes as we recount the challenges, triumphs, and lessons learned on our journey to disrupt the tech industry. Through their personal reflections, you’ll gain unique insights into the inner workings of our company. #BehindTheScenes “
- Example 2 – Sustainable Fashion Brand:
Tweet: “Unveiling the stories behind each garment. Our clothing line is more than just fabric – it carries the tales of the artisans who crafted them. Discover their personal narratives, the inspiration behind their designs, and the sustainable practices that define our brand. #CraftingNarratives “
- Example 3 – Food Startup:
Tweet: “Introducing our ‘Chef’s Diary’ series. Get an exclusive glimpse into the creative process and culinary inspirations of our master chefs. Through their personal entries, you’ll witness the artistry behind our mouth-watering dishes and the passion that drives our culinary vision. #ChefsDiary”
Short Form Video Examples using Framing Devices:
- Example 1 – Home Decor Brand:
Video: Start with a close-up shot of a family photo on a mantelpiece, then zoom out to reveal a beautifully designed living room. Throughout the video, use subtle transitions to showcase different rooms in the house, framing each scene with personal moments captured in photographs. “Step into a home where memories unfold. Our furniture and decor pieces provide the perfect backdrop for your cherished moments. #FramingMemories #PersonalSpaces”
- Example 2 – Travel Agency:
Video: Begin with an explorer opening a vintage suitcase, filled with old postcards and travel memorabilia. As the video progresses, blend in shots of breathtaking destinations, framing them within the context of the traveler’s experiences. Use voice-over narration to connect the dots, sharing snippets of the traveler’s adventures and the transformative power of travel. “Explore the world through the eyes of an adventurer. Each destination carries a story, and our curated experiences help you create your own. #FramingAdventures #UnveilingDestinations”
- Example 3 – Fitness Brand:
Video: Start with a shot of an empty gym locker, then pan out to reveal a fitness enthusiast preparing for a workout. Throughout the video, blend in quick cuts of intense training sessions, personal achievements, and motivational quotes. Use a voice-over to frame the individual’s fitness journey, highlighting the transformation and mindset behind their dedication. “Unleash your potential through the power of fitness. Our community is built on inspiring stories of perseverance and growth. Join us on this journey to become your best self. #FramingPotential #FitnessJourney”
Can you see how each of these examples offer a deeper connection to the viewer and potential customer?
By utilizing framing devices, you create a unique perspective that engages your audience, builds connections, and leaves a lasting impression.
Frame Your Story for Impact
By incorporating a framing device into your business storytelling, you unlock a powerful tool that can captivate your audience, build relationships and start the all important conversations that help to get your content seen and shared.
Whether it’s through a character’s perspective, a letter, or a unique context, framing devices provide a fresh lens through which your story unfolds.
So, why not step into the realm of framing devices, craft narratives that resonate, and watch as your storytelling takes on a whole new dimension of engagement and impact.